Thursday, July 9, 2009

a personal note

Tikuli Dogra's essay on human rights for gays and lesbians has inspired a long moment of reflection for me this morning. I think back over my life and how my attitude has shifted. Well..."shifted" is not quite right. It's more like when I first began to even have an attitude.

As I grew up in southern Arkansas, homosexuality was such a prohibited topic that I don't think I was aware there was such a thing until late junior high or early high school. And for years afterward, I never really formed a strong opinion one way or the other. Not until about 15 years ago.

I had just begun my obsession with classical music. And when I say "obsessed," I mean I was one gone cat. At the same time, I was just discovering the writings of Thomas Mann. It didn't take me long to realize that Tchaikovsky's gloriously beautiful and sometimes-tragic music was a gift from the heart of Being itself. And Mann! While reading The Magic Mountain, I fell into an aesthetic trance that has lost none of its mesmerism. In this story, Mann had to channel his "forbidden" passion into a heterosexual depiction: Hans Castorp's infatuation with the gnomic Clavdia Chauchat. There is a universal human need for companionship and for expressing the heat of Eros. Too bad that ignorance and meanness sometimes force one into self-censorship.

Along with experiencing the works, I read about the composer and the writer. About their lives of anguish. It was then, I'm pretty sure, that I actually committed to an opinion, an attitude about homosexuality. These were human beings, regardless of their wondrous contributions to music and literature. I began to sympathize with them, and I owed them a simple human understanding.

So...I finally came to less a decision than an awakening. I heartily recommend the new state of consciousness.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Tim thanks so much for this post.. I just stumbled upon it while going through your wonderful writings.. I hope the state of consciousness prevails.Have not seen much response as yet ..we seem to be the lonesome warriors .. but never mind the dawn will break soon ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so, too, Tiku. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My attitude on this subject has shifted monumentally, as well. It is an honor to tiptoe through your musings. Ah, the tales I should tell, if only I had half of your gift for lyric prose.

    ReplyDelete