Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tito


British agent Fitzroy MacLean was sent by Churchill to suss out and possibly assist Tito against the Nazis. Even if he was a Commie. 

MacLean remarked that this future prime minister and later president of Yugoslavia "could see both sides of a question and had a never-failing sense of humor."

Tito wrote this to Stalin:
Stop sending people to kill me. We've already captured five of them, one of them with a bomb and another with a rifle. If you don't stop sending killers, I'll send one to Moscow, and I won't have to send a second.

Accusations of atrocities under Tito's post-war leadership have been raised. As far as I know, they've not been confirmed. Others will know much more about this than me.

I must set aside some time to ponder Tito -- a man of complex consciousness inside a surreal country. A man also playing a long role on the world's stage.


Josip Broz Tito (1892 - 1980)


No comments:

Post a Comment