Thursday, June 27, 2013

C.S. Lewis


During the late seventies and early eighties, I read, admired, and thought about the writings of C.S. Lewis. This was a time when I was about halfway between my Christian upbringing in the deep South to my present condition (who-knows-what?). 

So now I look back at C.S. Lewis with a twinge of nostalgia. He represents that earlier period of my religious innocence turning into naive inquiry.

Anyway, poetry is sort of my religion nowadays I guess, and I just came across a C.S. Lewis quote that knocked my socks off:

The poet is not a man who asks me to look at him; he is a man who says ‘look at that’ and points.

 Exactly!




1898 - 1963



1 comment:

  1. What about Till We Have Faces? Have you read that one? Or his narrative poem, Dymer, some of the different stuff? Till We Have Faces is my favorite of his works (besides the Narnia series for kids.)

    ReplyDelete