Saturday, September 15, 2012

that Dostoevsky magic

This morning while pathologically drinking coffee, I'm thinking about Dostoevsky's DEMONS (or THE POSSESSED). I've read it several times. This morning those past readings are washing over me, and past impressions are making an impression on me.

The characters in that novel are distinctive. They are richly different from one another. I don't want to say that Dostoevsky brilliantly presented person

ality types, because I don't really believe in types. Rather, he gave us a verisimilitude of unique souls interacting in a fictional space.

Each character has remarkable depth, expression, and mesmerizing interest for the reader. When I read this novel, I helplessly fall into that space of souls. I could almost reach out and touch them.







No comments:

Post a Comment