Saturday, June 27, 2009

5 AM


Restless. Woke up at 3:30. Streamed a couple of The Office episodes. I love Andy.

Dawn light. I drive to the convenience store for smokes. With windows open half-way. Cool air flows in, caressing my face and arms. Nice.

The young lady behind the counter looks at me pleasantly and announces:

“I have a friend who has purple eyes.”

“Hmm...,” I manage. But feel that more is called for. So:

“You know, I've seen pictures of women with gray eyes. Is that real? Have you ever seen anyone with gray eyes?”

“Oh, yes,” she says, “mine turn gray depending on my mood.”

While quickly pondering this, for me, new fact – that mood can affect eye color – I reply:

“Yours are a real light green, aren't they?”

“Yes...just like my father's, and his used to turn gray sometimes, too.”

I pay her and leave.

Was she channeling some impromptu Daoist spirit? A voice...an unseen oracle who knew I needed to hear a koan this morning? Something spontaneous and strange, like purple eyes?

I guess I'll be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment